Glass specialist TuffX have cemented their name in Oxford’s diocesan history by providing 26 panels of 21.5mm toughened glass to St Paul’s Church, Slough.
The installation forms part of a much larger renovation project, which is being led by JBKS Architects – specialists in the restoration and modernisation of churches and houses of worship. The congregation has raised the majority of the funding needed for the work in an attempt to guarantee their church remains suitable for generations to come.
The oversized, laminated glass has created a more inviting feel to St Pauls, allowing for glimpses into the church interior. Visitors now enter through a vast doorway, into a simple reception space filled with natural light. Throughout the rest of the building, intricate notching into the glass ensured that TuffX’s product met the requirements of the existing stone pillars, sitting old and new seamlessly together.
Due to its strength and subsequent safety, toughened laminated glass has become a favourite for many architects. This coupled with their reputable product lines and delivery schedules is increasingly making TuffX a preferred supplier. TuffX Managing Director Graham Price commented:
“It has been a pleasure, and a privilege to have provided one of our flagship products to St Paul’s Church, especially given the tremendous efforts made by the congregation to bring their renovation ambitions to life. Churches are places of incredible importance to local communities, so on this occasion we needed the approval of many, not just a few.
Part of the spec to JBKS Architects was to create space using high quality materials, while maintaining simplicity. Features such as pre-drilled holes and custom shaped cut-outs have fulfilled this requirement, all in a timely manner. Built in 1906, St Paul’s was keen to preserve as much of its architectural heritage as possible, and we feel that our combined industry expertise has achieved precisely that.”
Return To Newsletter